Ephorate of Antiquities of Rethymno, Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Sports (GR)
The Ephorate of Antiquities of Rethymno (http://www.yppo.gr/1/g1540.jsp?obj_id=98131) is a regional service of the Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Sports (http://www.yppo.gr). Based in Rethymno (West Crete), its jurisdiction area include the administrative region of Rethymno. The Ephorate was established in October 2014, after the reform of the organisational chart of the Ministry, with the merge of the former 25th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities and the 28th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities.
The afore-mentioned Service commands the archaeological control over its jurisdiction areas under existing legislation, especially that of law n.3028/2002, and by administrative operations with other services. The activity of the Ephorate relates to the planning and execution of works of conservation, restoration and promotion for monuments and archaeological sites, conducting excavation research, development and operation of archaeological museums, management of museums and generally in the development of academic and administrative work required to support these activities. Among the activities carried out by the Ephorate, we can include the following:
- Participation in over twenty projects concerning the restoration, conservation and promotion of cultural heritage in the framework of co-funded European programmes (2nd and 3rdCommunity Support Framework and Cohesion Fund / National Strategic Reference Framework : Sectoral Operational Programme “Competitiveness and Entrepreneurship”, Regional Operational Programme of Crete and the Aegean Island 2007-2013, Operational Programme of Digital Convergence / Cross-Border Cooperation Programme “Greece-Cyprus”/Interreg IV).
- Digitization and Digital Documentation of cultural heritage.
- Organisation of congresses and meetings (1st, 2nd and 3rd Meeting for the Archaeological Work in Crete).
- International collaboration with Universities, Institutes and other scientific institutions, in the framework of scientific programmes (University of Crete, Department of History and Archaeology / Foundation for Research and Technology, Institute for Mediterranean Studies / Academy of Athens / National Hellenic Research Foundation / Providence College, University of Arizona, University of Texas).
Role in the Project
According to the archaeological legislation, each regional Ephorate is responsible of the protection of the cultural heritage in the region under its jurisdiction. The specialised staff of the Ephorate covers a wide range of domains (archaeologist, architects, civil engineers, restorers, conservators, skilled technicians).
The Ephorate of Rethymno will be the main responsible for the experimental running of the pilot within the Old Town of Rethymno, that will be examined for the risks associated to climatic conditions or natural hazards.
The Ephorate will also contribute to the project under the following activities:
- Archaeological and conservation documentation of the Old City of Rethymno pilot site (WP1).
- Experimental running of the Old City of Rethymno pilot site (WP9).
- Definition of the user scenario (WP4).
- Existing regulations and policies analysis and recommendations (T2.1).
- Analysis of the governmental processes and report on potential improvements (T2.2).
- Licensing and administrative procedures (WP11).